So you want to know how to market a website. Well, you came to the right place because we build websites and market them for our clients. I would think it’s safe to say that it’s not so much about how to market a website as it is how to market your products and/or services. Even with that being said, we’ll concentrate on how to drive traffic to your website.
How to market a website in 10 ways
Make sure you put your website address on your business card. You don’t need to put http:// you can just put mydomain.com at the bottom of your card.
- Make sure you’re using the same website domain as your email. It’s hard to market a website when you use a gmail account as your business email.
- Even though you use an email address that ends with your domain it’s still important to put a signature on your emails that includes your website address. If you’re using an HTML email you can make your web address a link so it’s easy for the reader to just click on it and go to your website.
- If you have any printed materials you should make sure your website address is prominently placed for the reader to see.
- SEO help is probably the next area to concentrate on. One third of your search engine ranking is determined by your on-page optimization. Make sure you decide what keywords per page you want to concentrate on and make sure all your copy, page titles, page URLs, Alt tags, etc. use those keywords.
- Link backs to your website constitutes the other two thirds of the ranking algorithm. These are not easy to get. If you have partners, suppliers, etc. you should ask for a link exchange where you add a link on your site to them and they add one to you.
- Social media is not as simple as most people make it out to be. People have to opt-in to your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. before anyone will see your information. People need a reason to join your social media site. It requires a communications strategy that provides the user with the advantages of being a member of your social environment.
- Internet ads is a very low-cost way to market a website. We can target your ads to your prospects. We can target by ZIP code, radius around an address, by age, income, etc. We can target people that have searched for your service in the last 7 days and only advertise to them. All of this at a cost per visit to your site. If they don’t click on your ad you don’t pay for it.
- Cost per click search advertising puts your ad in front of people actively searching for your products and/or services. This is easy to do yourself but more than likely you’ll pay 2-4 times more than what you’d pay if we did it for you.
- Email marketing is a great way to market a website. It starts by coming up with a marketing program/relationship marketing program. We all get too many emails so it’s important that the visitor understand what’s in it for them. They need to know why they should join your email program. We help our clients create a winning email-marketing program but it starts with a strategy and evolves from there. You can market new products and/or services to past customers as well as prospects that sign-up.
- If your website is responsive (meaning it alters itself for someone on their mobile phone) you can also do mobile ads. Mobile ads can also be purchased on a cost per visit basis so you don’t have to worry about paying money and getting nothing in return. More and more people are using their smart phones to search for websites. Make sure your site looks good on a mobile phone.
I hope this helps you with your “How to market a website” question. If you need more help or have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us.