Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Fundamentals with WordPress
What are some easy WordPress SEO steps?
Search Engine Optimization is an invaluable business tool that helps place a company’s website is as close as possible to the top of the search results of a potential client’s internet search. Though a common perception is that SEO is a mysterious black hole that no one completely understands, our job as Internet developers and marketers is to navigate clients smoothly through the SEO process. Below are a few fundamentals for any company starting SEO.
First, Google and other search engines want relevant content in their results that people want to read. A search engine that doesn’t bring the most relevant content isn’t doing its job effectively. This leads people to ask, “What are some SEO basics to begin to increase their SEO rank?”
Are you relevant? Key First Steps.
First, choose your focus keywords. These will declare what you want to rank for. SEO Fundamentals mean that the search engines think that you are relevant. Here are some easy steps.
The single most important place to see if you are relevant is your Page title. Make sure that your page title includes your keywords.
Next, make sure that you don’t use the same keywords on every page of your web site because the real power is in optimizing each individual page and/or post. You want to avoid duplication, which is a negative in the eyes of the search engines.
Now, title your different posts and pages.
- Turn off date based archive so that you have titles in your URL
- You should have more than just the title and company name for your title
- Make a descriptive title for the article you will be writing
- Make sure your keywords appear first in the title or as close as possible
Avoid these easy SEO mistakes.
- Don’t use header tags in the sidebar; use them in your pages.
- Fix all broken links
- Redirection of deleted pages works really well for SEO by eliminating 404 errors
- Create a good Meta description. It’s not the most important thing but it does help. A good Meta description will help your click rate and decreases bounce backs, which helps your rank. You want to use the same focused keywords in your Meta description.
These steps will help you lay the foundation for Search Engine Optimization for your website. Remember these are only the foundation for SEO. Google uses more than 200 ranking signals for its search algorithm, which changes daily. So, what is next for you building your SEO strength?
- Good relevant content
- Link building
- Social Links (The new player in SEO)
- Page load speed